|Best-Ever Strawberry Rhubarb Pie|
|By Better Home and Gardens|
21/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 c granulated sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c shortening
1/4 c cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
6 to 7 T. ice water
11/4 cups sugar
21/2 T. quick-cooking tapioca
1 T. grated fresh ginger
1/4 t. salt
1 lb. fresh rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces (3 cups) or one 16-oz. package frozen cut rhubarb
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
|1. For rich butter pastry, in a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter cubes until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss w. a fork.
2. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 T. of the water at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened.
3. Gather flour mixture into a ball, using hands to combine until it holds together.
4. Divide pastry into two portions, one portion w. 1/3 of the dough and one portion w. 2/3 of the dough.
5. Shape the smaller pieces of pastry into a 5x11/2-inch round log. Shape the larger piece of dough into a 7x2-inch round log.
6. Wrap pastry w. plastic wrap and freeze for 1 to 2 hours or until firm.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes
||Cook Time: 75 minutes|