|Turkey Roulade: Carmelized Onion Stuffed|
|By Good Housekeeping Company|
|You will need kitchen string for this recipe.
|2. T olive oil
2 med. onions, chopped
1 t. sugar
12 oz. white or cremini mushrooms (optional)
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 1/2 c. coarse bread crumbs
8 med. sage leaves, thinly sliced
1/4 c. plus 1/3 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 boneless turkey breast (about 5 lbs.) butterflied, skin removed
4 T margarine or butter, melted
3 c. turkey or chicken broth
|1. Preheat oven to 375F. Arrange roasting rack in roasting pan.
2. In 12-in. skillet, heat oil on med. Add onions; sprinkle w. sugar and 1/8 t. (dash) salt. Cook 20 min. or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
3. While onions cook, trim and chop mushrooms. Add mushrooms and wine to skillet. Increase heat to med.-high. Cook 5 min. or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer contents of skillet to large bowl; cool. Stir in bread crumbs, sage, and 1/4 c. parsley.
4. Place turkey on large cutting board, smooth side down. On left breast, cut along right side of tenderloin to separate from without cutting tenderloin off completely. Fold tenderloin back until flat but still attached to breast along left side. Repeat on right breast, cutting along left side of tenderloin and folding back.
5. Cover surface of turkey w. 2 large sheets of plastic wrap. Using flat side of meat mallet or heavy rolling pin, pound turkey until about 3/4 in. thick all over. Discard plastic wrap.
6. Sprinkle turkey w. 1/2 t. salt and pepper. Spread stuffing in even layer on breast. Starting w. short side, roll breast in jelly-roll fashion. Place seam side down. Using 16-in. pieces of kitchen string, tie roulade tightly at 2-in. intervals. Place roulade on rack in pan. Brush liberally w. half of margarine. Sprinkle w. 1/2 t. salt. Pour broth and 1c. water into bottom of pan.
7. Roast 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. or until turkey is cooked through (165F), basting w. remaining margarine halfway through. Remove from oven; transfer to large cutting board. Cover loosely w. aluminum foil; let stand at least 10 min. Remove and discard strings.
8. While roulade rests, strain pan juices into gravy separator. To serve, sprinkle all but 1 T. remaining parsley onto roulade, patting to adhere. Slice roulade; transfer to serving platter. Garnish w. sage leaves. Sprinkle w. remaining 1 T. parsley. Serve w. juices.
|Prep Time: 40 minutes
||Cook Time: 240 minutes|