|Make-Your-Own Family Ornaments|
|By Sherlene HowMayIHelpYou|
|Little kids can also make foam tray ornaments using foam trays, scissors, yarn, glue, old magazines, or old Christmas cards. First cut designs from old magazine or Christmas card.
|2 cups Baking soda
1 cup Cornstarch
1 1/4 cup Water
|1. In a pan put 1 cup of cornstarch and 2 cups baking soda. Mix them thoroughly.
2. Add 1 cup + 1/4 cup of cold water. (Place on heat and boil one minute to consistency of moist mashed potatoes. Stir constantly, and be careful as to not over cook.
3. Turn out of pan onto a plate.
4. Cover with a damp cloth until the mixture cools enough to handle.
5. When cool, knead as you would bread or cookie dough. DO NOT FLOUR BOARD!
6. Roll out on wax paper to depth of 1/4".
7. Cut with cookie cutters to make decorative patterns.
8. Insert a small stick into each ornament.
9. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. They may also dry by laying them on paper over night. (Baking them is much faster).
10. Let cool, and paint your ornaments, using water colors, tempera or ceramic paint. Coat with clear shellac for a protective clear finish. Use your favorite holiday colors to paint.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes
||Cook Time: 30 minutes|